[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Picking first vw up on Saturday!! - Page 2 - Angel VW Club

Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 pm 

I have just replaced the gas struts in the roof - it is a big heavy roof and now lifts fine with a bit of a shove! It was a very easy job to do - I got mine from SGS Engineering

Also, if you are having trouble pushing the sliding the bed out I would advise you remove the beds in the roof to look at the supports underneath - on mine it had been put together with small self tappers and some of the brackets had fallen off. I riveted these back on and the bed slides out like a dream now. Took a few hours but worth it!

I am not sure who you could talk to about your engine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

Thanks, that's really helpful. We're off to a place on Friday in South Shields and if that's no good then think we will go down to the dub place at Harrogate, seems to have rave reviews. Don't want to take it just anywhere, we're going to put another engine in and need it to be the right place who knows what they're doing. Hopefully we will get these jobs done over the winter so all set for next year... Got our glastonbury tickets yesterday, so well chuffed and will be sleeping a lot of people in the super viking roof!! It doesn't seem to completely lift, so the fabric side is slack, and looks like could gather water in, so presuming it's the gas struts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm 

I'll be at Glasto in mine too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 pm 

Fab! We should have a very slow Viking convoy :) is yours a Bay or a T25?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 pm 

1979 bay in orange. There is a pic on another post in this forum. It will be a long journey. It's a long way, I'll probably split it and camp half way down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 pm 

Do you have a pic of yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:14 am 

Ours is a 1976 bay, also orange! We went down this year in my last Campervan, a converted LDV Convoy. That had a flat tyre on the way home at midnight and the brake went. Bloody nightmare. It is a very long way. We usually go down tues, this year will be after school for the kids, so travelling through the night prob. God knows howmlong it will take, I dread to think. Not sure how to post a photo, will try and work it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 am 

Did you get your engine sorted? It looks like I need my gearbox refurbishing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 am 

Hi, yes we did and they were fantastic. Not sure where you're based, but Addington Motor Engineering , St. Lawrence Rd, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1AR, Telephone: 0191 276 1900 are who we took Brian to, after trying two other places who weren't great. The guy here (Colin) really knows his stuff and they are very friendly and helpful. Brian has his tinware taken off and they've offered to fabricate some if necessary. There's a thread on here about them and seems other people have had good experiences there too. Brian needs to go back in January for engine to be stripped and heat exchangers put back on. We had previously been told he needed a new engine, Colin says it's fixable, will strip the engine and sort. Great people based on my experience so far, we're picking him up tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:51 am 

Fantastic, thanks for the recommendation! I am in Hartlepool but it is worth travelling any distance for a good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:45 pm 

No, we don't either. The nearest one I could find apart from that was Harrogate, but may be one closer. Brian is a bit complicated due to what's been done to him before, and they're the only one of the 3 to take it in their stride, and to be reliable in getting back to you, and not too expensive. They're doing a report of what else will need doing in the future, app he worked on them when they were new, so really seems to know his stuff. They've had Brian since last Friday and have had a good look at him. Let me know how you get on!