Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 am 

Flushing Meadows, NY - Taylor Townsend has surely watched Serena Williams dominate first-round opponents at Grand Slams over the years. This time, the 18-year-old was on the business end of it at the U.S. Open. Williams cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 victory in Tuesdays nightcap against the overmatched Townsend, a left-hander who was two-years old when Williams made her U.S. Open debut in 1998. The two-time reigning U.S. Open champ did not take it easy on the young American, winning 88 percent of the points on her first serve and hitting 16 winners to Townsends eight. Still, Williams was impressed. "Shes incredibly talented," Williams said of Townsend following the match. "Its awesome for American tennis. We have such an amazing future." Earlier, Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, rising Canadian star Eugenie Bouchard and former world No. 1 Ana Ivanovic were easy first-round victors. The third-seeded Kvitova has now won her last eight Grand Slam matches after flattening the helpless Kristina Mladenovic 6-1, 6-0 in 54 minutes at Ashe Stadium. Kvitova captured her second Wimbledon title in four years last month and is fresh off her hardcourt title in New Haven last week. The seventh-seeded Bouchard improved to 17-3 at this years Grand Slam events by blitzing Olga Govortsova 6-2, 6-1, while the eighth-seeded Ivanovic routed American Alison Riske 6-3, 6-0 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The 20-year-old Wimbledon runner-up Bouchard is the only woman to appear in at least the semifinals at this years first three majors. Ivanovic is a former French Open champion. A big upset came when 15-year-old American CiCi Bellis took out 12th-seeded Aussie Open runner-up Dominika Cibulkova 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 on Court 6. The San Francisco native and world No. 2 junior Bellis, making her Grand Slam debut, is ranked 1,208th in the world and is the youngest player to win a U.S. Open match since Anna Kournikova in 1996. The reigning two-time U.S. Open runner-up and two-time Aussie Open champ Victoria Azarenka, a former world No. 1 seeded 16th at this fortnight, moved on by overcoming Misaki Doi 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-1. The on-the-mend Azarenka missed three months of action this year while being sidelined with a foot injury. Her second-round opponent will be American Christina McHale. A pair of former U.S. Open champs had different results on Day 2, as Marina Erakovic took out 20th-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) and 24th-seeded Samantha Stosur handled American Lauren Davis 6-1, 6-4. Kuznetsova titled here 10 years ago and was the Open runner-up in 2007, while Stosur captured her lone Grand Slam singles title in Flushing in 2011. Meanwhile, 11th-seeded Flavia Pennetta held off Julia Goerges 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 and 17th-seeded Ekaterina Makarova erased American Grace Min 6-4, 6-2. In other action involving seeds, No. 15 Carla Suarez Navarro ousted Ajla Tomljanovic, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1, No. 23 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova crushed Teliana Pereira, 6-2, 6-0, No. 29 Casey Dellacqua erased Patricia Mayr-Achleitner 7-5, 6-3, No. 30 Barbora Zahlavova Strycova subdued Ashleigh Barty 6-1, 6-3, and Mona Barthel upended No. 32 Zhang Shuai 6-1, 6-2. Also, No. 27 American Madison Keys cruised past Jarmila Gajdosova, 6-0, 6-3. In other play featuring Americans, McHale snuck past Chanelle Scheepers 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), Nicole Gibbs downed Caroline Garcia, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3, Varvara Lepchenko bested Alison Van Uytvanck 7-5, 6-2, Shelby Rogers beat Ukrainian Maryna Zanevska 6-4, 6-3 and Vania King outlasted former French Open champ Francesca Schiavone 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. Several other women reached the second round, including Kaia Kanepi, Sorana Cirstea, Polona Hercog, Elena Vesnina, Monica Niculescu, Aleksandra Krunic, Petra Cetkovska, Karolina Pliskova and Wang Qiang. Jack Crawford Jersey .com) - Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer were among the third-round winners Friday at the French Open. Kemal Ishmael Jersey . Lynn was tied for 16th entering the fourth round, six shots behind leader Paul Waring. He started with two birdies and added three more on his last five holes at the Oceanico Victoria course for an 18-under total of 266. http://www.officialatlantafalconsfootba ... sey-womens. "Last year didnt go the way we wanted it to, but we need to look at what went well and what didnt go so well. Hopefully this year we will be better," Brendan Gallagher said after practice. This year, the Canadiens have a little more depth to work with by adding players like Daniel Briere, Dale Weise, Mike Weaver, Douglas Murray and arguably, the biggest addition to this playoff roster, Thomas Vanek, who the Canadiens were able to land at the trade deadline. Isaiah Oliver Jersey . He, the 25-year-old Toronto backup net-minder and Manitoba native, would be making just his fourth start in the past 16 games against the Jets the following evening. It was the word of opportunity for Reimer, who has fallen into the role of backup, outmatched in recent weeks by Jonathan Bernier, his Quebec counterpart. Derrick Shelby Jersey . Sami Vatanen had a goal and an assist and Anaheim used a four-goal first period to extend their winning streak to six games with a 5-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night.CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs want Manny Ramirez to mentor their minor leaguers at the very end of a colorful career that includes two World Series titles and a pair of suspensions for positive drug tests. Ramirez signed a minor league deal with the Cubs on Sunday and will be a player-coach at Triple-A Iowa after he gets some at-bats in extended spring training at the teams facility in Mesa, Arizona. The 41-year-old Ramirez is a .312 hitter with 555 home runs in 2,302 games covering 19 major league seasons. Seven of those were in Boston, where Cubs executive Theo Epstein was the general manager of two Red Sox clubs that won it all with Ramirez playing a key role and earning a World Series MVP award. "While Manny is not and will not be a fit on the Cubs major league roster, we do think at this stage of his life hes a nice fit as a mentor for some of the young talented hitters we have in the organization," Epstein said in a statement. "Manny will coach full-time and play part-time in a limited role that does not take at-bats away from our prospects. "If he shows there is still some magic in his bat, perhaps he will find his way to the major leagues and help another team, but that is not why he is here. We are thrilled that he wants to work with our young hitters and make a difference." Ramirez most recently played in the big leagues in 2011, with Tampa Bay. The 12-time All-Star had a minor league with Texas before the Rangers released him last August. "Im at the stage of my life and career where I really want to give something back to the game that I love -- the game that has meant so much to me and done so much for me and my family," he said in a release. "I know I am nearing the end of my playing days, but I have a lot of knowledge to pass on to the next generation -- both what to do and what not to do." Ramirez was suspended for 50 games in 2009 while with the Los Angeles Dodgers after testing positive for a banned drug. He retired in April 2011 instead of serving a 100-game ban for a second positive test while with Tampa Bay, but later agreed to a reduced 50-game suspension and played in the minors for Oakland in 2012. The teaching role for Ramirez is a bit of a gamble for Epstein, who is depending on Chicagos rich farm syystem to turn around the floundering franchise.ddddddddddddThe Cubs lost 197 games over the previous two seasons, and began Sunday in last place in the NL Central with an 18-29 record. "The reality is he is a great, great hitter who can provide valuable insight and knowledge," Chicago manager Rick Renteria said before the game at San Diego. Chicagos top hitting prospects at Iowa include infielders Arismendy Alcantara and Javier Baez, a first-round pick in 2011 who is off to a slow start after he was a late cut by the Cubs following a solid spring training. Third baseman Kris Bryant, the No. 2 overall selection in last years draft, is one of the top hitters in the Double-A Southern League and could make it to Iowa by the end of the season. "The Cubs have some very talented young hitters, and I would love nothing more than to make a positive impact on their careers," Ramirez said. "I am passionate about baseball and about hitting, and I have a lot to offer. While I would love to return to the major leagues, I leave that in Gods hands. My focus will be on working with the young hitters, making sure they dont make the same mistakes I made, and helping the team any way I can." Ramirez was selected 13th overall by the Cleveland Indians in the 1991 amateur draft and rose quickly through the minor leagues, with a youthful exuberance and natural charisma that endeared him to just about everyone he met. He signed with the Red Sox as a free agent in December 2000, helping the franchise win an elusive World Series championship a few years later, then doing it again in 2007. Ramirez led the American League with a .349 batting average in 2002, finished second the next year, and had an AL-best 43 home runs in 2004. But there was another side to Manny -- his lackadaisical play, particularly on defence and the basepaths, rubbed some managers and teammates the wrong way. "Manny has made real mistakes in the past but he has owned up to them and moved his life in a positive direction the last couple of years," Epstein said in a release. "He is in a really great place right now and wants to share the lessons hes learned along the way. We think he deserves another chance and that our young hitters will benefit from it." China NFL Jerseys Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Online Stitched Hockey Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys Football Jerseys Outlet College Jerseys For Sale Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys For Sale Wholesale NFL Jerseys ' ' '