[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Our First, A 1972 Beetle 1200 - Page 5 - Angel VW Club

Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:50 am 

in at the deepend phil, if you need any info just shout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm 

Cheers! I'm way way into the deepend now, no turning back, I may need to give a shout at some point soon for advice to make sure I don't go too deep :)

Hammer and chisel through spot welds to get myself to this point when my father in law dropped the front end off and I decided to remove paint and see where the piece would fit best.

After starting along the top of the channel I got a puff of filler so decided to move down from there and found this, it seems the front has been replaced before.

So I decided to clear both sides where the join would be inside and out and move forwards to see where best attach the new piece.

The rain came down but didn't stop play as I just moved under the built in umbrella and carried on working on the inside.

So here's where I am at the moment, paint gone on the joins inside and out passenger side, only on the inside on drivers side. Stopped the noise for now as the daughter is on nights tonight so I've let her get some sleep ;-)

Need to get a couple more wire brush attachments to keep me going but hopefully I'll get back at it Sunday, weather permitting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:29 pm 

Good luck with it mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 pm 

Certainly getting into it. Looks like it is pre measured! Always interesting things found with a wire brush or flap disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am 

Rain has stopped play on the outside today so I've moved inside

Cleared away the shite and seatbelts etc.

Anyone have any idea what the black stuff is, feels a bit tacky in some places. And how do I best remove it? Just drill/grinder with wire brush?

Previous work

Do I dare clear there or do I just leave be for now? Bearing in mind I'm trying to keep costs down low, although as usual that's not working ;-)

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 am 

Location: Europes best kept secret - Whitley Bay....think its best kept a secret !!
Keep up the good work Phil, your doing great :)

I reckon that black stuff is waxoyl, scrapper and white white spirit probs best to get it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:52 pm 

If it's solid leave it alone, you just want it solid not a show car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 pm 

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:43 pm 

Right, more attacking done with the wire brush to see what is underneath

Passenger door pillar, needs replacing

Drivers door, seems OK. Agreed??

Drivers side inner wing, rotten down below, been replaced before it seems. The captive nuts for the wings seem rough but feel really solid so should be fine as they are.

Lost over half an hour chatting to the guy over the road who used to work for Thornton Brothers as a panel beater/fabricater. Good thing is he said when I come to fit anything to give him a shout and he'll come explain how to do it, but won't do it for me. He also said just to get a sheet of steel and make any bits I needed myself, it was cheaper, but I explained that's way way out of my comfort zone :lol:

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:05 pm 

Cracking on well there...I agree to leave the black stuff on the rear. Don't fix what aint broke. There's plenty broke stuff to fix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm 

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm 

Very true. I have rough plans of action, flowcharts etc. Thing is, no matter how many plans of action you have, You end up doubling what is there. I have been on 1 side of A4 for 3 months. A rough guide is always a help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:02 pm 

Due to my daughter being on nightshift and Bug being under her bedroom window I've had to remove mysellf to the very top of the back garden to attack the wings, they're looking a bit rough. Is this lot fixable and how easy for someone who knows nowt?

Cheers :-)

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:23 pm 

It is something that you can attempt but would be hard to curve sheet steel when a beginner. Your welding neighbour might give you a yay or nay. If you are keen to attempt, my old rear wings might be solid at the bottom, so you could transplant bit. If interested, I can check them. Nice day to work in the garden. I will be backing the bug out of the garage to get some rays myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:45 pm 

Well, that's the first one stripped and hoyed a coat of primer on until I decide what to do

Phil

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next