[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
My 1969 beetle first ever project. - Page 6 - Angel VW Club

Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm 

Well now i own a tow rope!. Got it running eventually.. something grumpy in the distributor methinks now... but battery went flat trying to turn it over. Just going to do short tootles in it ( without dad so he can come rescue me if required)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:17 pm 

That's awesome, now enjoy it, in between fixing what goes wrong hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 pm 

:lol: I have a list for tomorrow. Electrical issues. Great thing about having the mot, can run and these issues can show up. Was pretty good mot guy who helped set the lights up, pointed a few things out.

Have put quite a few miles on it today, hasn't broken down again.

GReat fun to drive, can't wait for tomorrow to drive it again!

Official photoshoot:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:09 pm 

OK, where's the jealous smiley, I need it!! :lol:

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 am 

ANother fun trip yesterday.

Plenty of problems rearing their heads, but that is what a test period is for. Currently the starter has been stripped down to check another problem that has only happened once. Looks ok so probably the ignition switch. Wouldn't surprise me, it's shit. Hoping the various other issues with the electrics have calmed themselves down after tweaking. .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 pm 

Week has gone by. Car is running nicely overall. First couple minutes a little grumpy, but OK. the only issue is the odd time when starting, it clicks but doesn't turn over. Starts after 2 attempts though! After the initial hiccups, no problem at all, tootles along no bother at all :D. Fitting a new ignition switch at some point, might help, might not but will be better than the crap and probably corroded setup already there.

As well as a day trip over to MDF, I think this weekend may involve restoration work on my polo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Have you read this page:

which is really good at running through loads of checks to fix 'the big click'!

Looking good so far by the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:55 pm 

Thanks... very happy with it so far. Love driving around in it.

Yes, vw resource has been very useful for the work done. The problem has been sussed out, I hope, this afternoon. Took it for it's first trip to tesco and would start. Took solenoid wire off start push button, and touched it to the 12v supply... starter motor turned! Problem seems to be with the push switch. Fortunately the key has a start position, wired the solenoid to that... success! I have a new aftermarket ignition switch to fit at some point.

The fault of the day is the wipers. Went out yesterday in the rain. Mechanism needs more work. Wipers very floppy.

OTher thing is I think the exhaust may be blowing... my field trip to mighty dub today resulted in not hearing anything as loud or louder than mine. Have to save my pennies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 pm 

Currently having a "holiday" at home, in between day trips etc I have been trying to get the bodywork ready for paint, including some of the lesser repairs that have needed doing. The new front wings are ready for paint, and am about halfway around the main car. One or two days more work and it will be perfect (ish).

The front window frame that has been annoying many people...

Before...

After...

Not 100% ready, but the rust is gone and the hole that emerged has been patched.

Hope to have plenty painting done by the end of next week.

I have a couple issues to fix...a couple of things to check with the starting fault, which re-emerged, and the wipers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm 

Well the car is ready for paint

little bit more masking up to do...then time to give this rustoleum a try... We have done some sampling on the old bodywork that is lying around so have perfected formulas and methods...It's been the mission on this project to do this without outside help, and to an affordable budget, and rustoleum seems to be the way to do it.

Hard work to get to this stage...hoped to be at this point this time last week, but underestimated the prep time...at least it was fine until today.

I am looking at putting on the finishing touches. Would like a pair of blade bumpers but they are quite expensive to get anything other than the sunny climate chrome...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:59 pm 

Three coats down, hopefully only three to go.

Progress is slow but that is the thing with the rustoleum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:11 pm 

Cool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 pm 

Awesome job, looking good :D

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 pm 

Thanks, it's been a bit of a chore... dad is owed a lot of the credit here... While I was doing the prep, he was doing research and development with the old wings, doors etc. Came home from work on Tuesday and it had been rubbed down. Hopefully another coat tomorrow, then a dry, rub down week, 2 more coats, decide whether coats 7 and 8 needed... if not, flat back, cutting compound, polish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:49 pm 

Well, finally it is back together. Still needs some more work, but the weather has caused a couple issues (get a better result when it is a bit cooler). Couple bits need touching up too. However despite this I am quite happy with the results so far:

The interior paint still looks like complete shite. The plan is to enjoy the car for a couple months, try and get a couple of things for it second hand, then maybe sept/oct finish the inside off. Have driven it around all day and after the problem starting this morning (confusion with the new ignition switch).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next