Angel VW Club

FREE friendly Volkswagen club in and around Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland.
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 pm 

Hello Everyone,
I doubt anyone on here will know me but some of you may remember my beloved beetle in his previous paint job, as a battered German police car, frequently parked at Silverlink or in the Tyne Tunnel queue and at loads of the shows around the country (not as a show and shine........obviously!) many years ago.

Where as before he was the Polizei Bug, he's since been fully restored, painted in GT Apple green and is now know to his friends as just Jacob! Unfortunately his (expensive) restoration now means he's only out and about for show time and sunny rides across the North York Moors (we've also moved).

After driving a modern car as a daily for the last 10 years i've now decided i've had enough, and miss an air cooled vw as a daily companion. I've decided when i have enough in the pot to go for it, get a second bug, perform some upgrades and go to work with a smile rather than a dose of road rage. I've lost touch on what engine (and other) upgrades can be done to turn a normal aircooled engine into something that can slip in with the more modern flow of traffic so i'm hoping that some people on here can help me out with ideas, suggestions, what to definitely avoid etc etc. I'm wanting to get a plan of what to do before i go out and find a bug, but currently i plan to not go for one of the Super bugs (sorry, but they've never really appealed to me).

So, can anyone help me out - what are my engine upgrade options keeping the standard gearbox and what other general upgrades can be done to help an old bug fit in with modern driving??? I've always been a stock gal so haven't really paid attention to these things in the past.

Sorry for the long hello/intro but thank you for making it to the end!! :lol: